Monday, July 16, 2012

#7. Influential People

20 Til I'm 20:  #7.  List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.

For this lovely little post I decided to keep it to famous/historical influences.  I could list each and every member of my family as well as every friend I've ever had but then the list would be a lot longer than 10.  This post might get a little religious and personal, so hang in there. 

1.  Martin Luther King Jr.  -  Ever since I was a little girl, I have been fascinated with Martin Luther King junior.  In my school classes when I learned about slavery and all the segregation, etc. it hit me really hard.  I couldn't believe that people were really treated that way.  When I learned about Martin Luther King Jr., I was so impressed with him and how he stood up for what was right.  I wished that I could join in his marches and protests.  I even read a large quantity of his speeches, including the famous "I have a dream" as a young child.
2.  Albert Einstein  -  I have always thought that Albert Einstein was a genius (which he was, of course).  That in and of itself is very influential but I think what most influenced me about him was all of his quotes and the things he said about education and genius and life.  Very, very smart man.
3.  Rosa Parks -  This woman's influence is very similar to Martin Luther King.  But I added her to the list because, not only did was she a leader in the segregation stuff, did so as a woman.  And that to me is very very influential.  A little feminism coming out.
4.  Phil Collins -  My music idol!  This man is so talented musically and I look up to him SO much.  Someday I hope that my musical abilities are somewhere near where his are.  He is amazing. 
5.  Joseph Smith - For obvious church-related reasons this man is such an influence in my life.  He founded the church that means the world to me.  He was such a great leader both in general and in church.
6.  Emma Smith - Emma is one of the strongest women in all history in my opinion.  She made it through so many incredibly hard things in her life and I look up to her so much for all of that.  She is such a strong woman.
7.  Walt Disney - What child growing up watching Disney movies wasn't influenced by this man?  He is incredible.  He has touched the lives of so many people.  Incredible.
8.  Julie Andrews - I love Julie Andrews because not only is she an incredibly talented woman who brought us the wonders of The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, she also made it through a really tough time.  She had voice health problems but she still kept going and brought us more great movies and talent such as the Princess Diaries movies.  She is a great example of perseverance through hard times.  
9.  Gordon B. Hinkley - For me, this one represents all church leaders, especially prophets.  I put his name because he was the prophet that I grew up with.  I remember being little and watching general conference and not hearing a word that was said except those by President Hinkley.  He always related so much to the youth and he was such a great influence. 
10.  Jesus Christ - To me this is probably the biggest influence in my life.  The Savior Jesus Christ.  I can't even put into words how much of an influence He is in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment