Sunday, July 22, 2012

#11. Childhood Memories

20 Til I'm 20: #11.  Describe 3 significant childhood memories.  

Once upon a time when I was just a wee little one, I was at my friend's house and we decided we were going to go hike the mountain behind her house.  She had just moved into good ol' Diamond Valley and so she didn't really know where we were going, and I had never been on that mountain before to my knowledge.  My brother and her dog decided to join us on our hike.  Of course my bro knew exactly where he was going and so we just followed him.  Then he decided that he was bored and done with the hike and he left us.  We hiked on for a little longer and needless to say, we got lost (or so we thought).  We had no clue how to get back to her house.  I was terrified.  I remember saying a little prayer to myself and then the dog just started walking.  We decided to follow the dog and he led us right back home.  Faith of a little child = strengthened.   


Another significant memory (well... maybe not all that significant but it always sticks out to me.  Probably because my friends always remind me of it to this day).  I was at the same friend's house as before.  It was years down the road and we were sledding.  Said friend lived up on a rather large hill.  Huge driveway (which I had broken my arm on while riding a scooter down it) and lots of good sledding spots.  So we were there sledding, along with some other friends.  It was my turn and I go to sled down the hill and my sled turns and I head off the ledge and onto the driveway.  Yes, the driveway that I had already broken a bone on.  I remember a lot of bumps as I went off the edge, and I remember my friends screaming.  Thankfully the sled stopped before I hit the steep part of the driveway.  That experience, along with the broken arm, kept me avoiding her driveway for a long, long time.  


My last childhood memory is one that happened every year and they all kinda mess together but I remember it as being one of my favorite times.  Every 4th of July my family, along with all my cousins and any other family members who were in town would drive to my Grandma's house for the holiday.  We would go swimming, and we even got the adults to join us in the pool.  My grandma's pool is circular so we would all run around it in circles until we turned it into a whirlpool and then the adults would case us around the whirlpool and dunk us whenever they caught up.  I loved this game!  After swimming for a while we would have dinner which usually consisted of lots of fruit, salads, and those huge Subway sandwiches for big parties.  Then the kids would try to sneak back into the pool before our "food settled in our stomachs" but Grandma always caught us.  We would swim again until right before the fireworks show then we would come to the house and eat root beer floats and watch the fireworks from the porch.  My favorite part was how the sound always came so much after the lights from the fireworks because we were far away.  Then when the firework show ended we would go outside and watch the neighbors set off their fireworks.  By the time they finished the traffic in town from the fireworks show was normally all cleared out and we would head home.  This was one of the highlights of my summers when I was a little kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment