Tuesday, April 5, 2011

You Just Had To Be There



So right now it's pretty late but I wanted to blog about what has been on my mind most of today before I head to bed.

Two weeks ago in my music therapy ensemble class I was assigned to be a group leader for a big performance that we were required to do for the class. This performance consisted of combining 6 different people's drum-talk pyramids together to make it into one long performance song -- about 20 minutes long. I was terrified. I did not want to be the group leader. But I didn't really have a choice. The group that I was assigned to consisted of myself, Karli, Corinne, Sara, Ashton, and Josh. Seriously THE best group ever.

So not gonna lie, I was super stressed about all of this. Coordinating 6 different music major college students' busy schedules which included classes, work, practice time, and lesson times was NOT an easy task. We ended up having group meetings at very random times of the day and the night in some cases. We had one practice on a Sunday night starting at 10:15 pm which went until about midnight.

Today we had our last practice. It started at noon and we had the resource room scheduled until 1:30 pm which is when our performance was. We ran through our piece twice and decided that we had it down and that we didn't need to practice anymore. This left us about 45 minutes or so to do whatever we wanted. We ended up discussing for quite some time a name for our group. Maureen wanted us to have one but we were still undecided on what we wanted it to be. We came up with a lot of different possibilities that were results of inside jokes that had happened while we were practicing. All of these different names were:
1. Fancy Mallets
2. 5 and 1
3. Sara and the Dirty Looks
4. Psycho-Acoustics
5. You Can't Say That In Church..... (unless you want to go to hell)
6. The Chain
So finally, right before class, in the hall outside the classroom, we decided on a name. We called ourselves "You Just Had To Be There." We figured this fit our group pretty well and was the best combination of all the names.

Now I'm going to backtrack a little. While we were in the room practicing during our extra time (after the name conversation died down for the moment), we started having a jam session. We all sang the song called "The Chain" by Ingrid Michaelson. Josh and Sara sang the verses, Sara played piano, Corinne and I played drums, and we all sang the chorus of the song in a round. It was so much fun! And we actually sounded pretty good. This was probably my favorite moment of all the time that we all spent together.

Back in class now -- the performance went really well! We performed very first. It sounded really good! We all rocked out and had fun doing it! And best of all, the stress of it is now done. I will admit that I am really sad that I won't be spending tons of time with my group anymore. We all became pretty close and are all good friends now and I am going to miss the inside jokes and the jam sessions. Lucky for me, music therapy is a small major and I'll be spending the next who knows how many years hanging out with these people!

I doubt that any of my group members will actually read this post but I wanted to say thanks to all of them anyway. You were great and you made me job pretty easy and I had fun! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment